At Newham Hospital, we remain committed to providing you with outstanding care, and have dedicated staff working hard to ensure you have a safe and positive experience of pregnancy and birth. Maternity staff cannot work from home as we need to care for you and your baby throughout the antenatal, labour and postnatal period. We ask that you understand the challenging environment that we are working in and support us in what we are trying to achieve in caring for you during this time.
- If you have any symptoms suggestive of COVID-19 (fever, persistent cough, shortness of breath), please do not come into the hospital.
- Please do not bring any children with you to the hospital. They will not be allowed to accompany you to your appointment and you’ll be asked to reschedule.
- One adult will be allowed to accompany you to your appointment. This may change in future, depending on advice from Public Health England.
- Some appointments will now be cairred out by telephone rather than face-to-face. We will let you know if this applies to your appointment.
- All parent education classes and tours the maternity unit have been cancelled for the foreseeable future. We are looking into ways of delivering them virtually – please follow our social media feeds for more information over the coming months.
The following restrictions will be in place until further notice:
Only 1 visitor – usually the named birth partner allowed in labour (if they have a negative swab result) – there will be no swapping of birthing partners for the duration of women’s stay.
No children allowed at any time. Please make alternative childcare arrangements prior to any appointments or scans
Partners will be able to attend some scan appointments in Zone 12/Fetal Medicine Unit. Please confirm with your midwife/doctor.
Named birth partner will only be able to visit the postnatal ward between 2-5pm daily when they have a negative Covid-19 swab result and have received a green wristband.
More information can be found here: Visiting Restrictions Maternity.doc [doc] 57KB
Temporary suspension of some maternity services
We are proud to offer all choices of place of birth. All services at our hospital labour ward, alongside birth centre, freestanding birth centre and homebirth birth are running as usual.
Choosing our hospital
Welcome to our maternity service at Newham Hospital. We help to deliver 6,000 babies a year, making us one of the busiest maternity units in the country. We are very proud of our service and we are committed to providing high quality maternity care.
We provide care at Newham Hospital, Barking Community Hospital and in the community to women who live in the London boroughs of Newham, Barking, Havering and Redbridge, however we do also welcome women from outside these boroughs.
All of the staff you meet during your care with us should introduce themselves and carry an identification badge. Please do not be afraid to ask for a person’s name or role if you do not know who they are.