About the programme
Through our work we aim to encourage and help young people to take the first step on their career in the healthcare sector by:
- Increasing awareness of NHS careers
- Raising career aspirations
- Promoting Barts Health as a local employer
- Helping with recruitment to higher education, apprenticeship programmes and employment
- Improving careers advice and guidance provided to young people
Our virtual parents engagement webinars run throughout the year. The webinars are free of charge and open to all parents and carers who wish to support their children in making informed decision about their future career in the NHS. The webinars will cover a number of topics including routes into the health careers such as Medicine, Nursing, Midwifery and AHPs, and available apprenticeship pathways. You will also get an opportunity to participate in live Q&A session.
23rd Feb 2022
23rd Mar 2022
3rd May 2022
12th May 2022
7th June 2022
8th June 2022
Accessing the webinar:
There is no need to book in advance. Just download the zoom app on your phone, PC or laptop and join us on one of the above dates with the zoom login details below:
Topic: Parent Engagement- NHS Careers
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 847 0143 4387
You can find out more information on how to use zoom here: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362193-Joining-a-Zoom-video-call
Our offering to schools and colleges
We are currently working with 37 schools within the boroughs of Tower Hamlets, Newham, Hackney and Waltham Forest offering a wide range of activities:
Attending parents evenings to increase awareness of existing career pathways
Virtual work experience platform
Year 10 webinars
Barts Health summer school
Online mentoring programme
16 - 30 year olds
Pre-employment training programme
List of participating schools:
- BSix College
- Cardinal Pole Catholic School
- Clapton Girls' Academy
- Mossbourne Community Academy
- Our Lady’s Catholic High School
- Stoke Newington School and Sixth Form
- The Bridge Academy
- The City Academy
- The Petchey Academy
- Brampton Manor Academy
- London Academy of Excellence
- Newham College of Further Education
- Newham Collegiate Sixth Form Centre
- Newham Sixth Form College (NewVic)
- St. Angela's Ursuline School
- St. Bonaventure's RC School (Sixth Form)
- Bishop Challoner Catholic Federation of Schools
- Central Foundation Girls' School
- George Green's School
- Langdon Park Community School
- Morpeth School
- Mulberry Academy Shoreditch
- Mulberry School for Girls
- New City College
- Oaklands School
- St. Paul's Way Trust School
- Stepney All Saints Church of England Secondary School(Sir John Cass's Foundation and Red Coat Church of England Secondary School)
- Swanlea School
- Heathcote School and Science College
- Highams Park School
- Lammas School and Sixth Form
- Leyton Sixth Form College
- Norlington School and 6th Form (for Boys)
- Sir George Monoux College
- Waltham Forest College
- Walthamstow Academy
- Walthamstow School for Girls
Work experience opportunities
Covid-19: Work experience is not being offered by our trust at the moment. Schools and colleges that are enrolled on our programme will be notified once it resumes.
Due to a high demand, we are unable to accept requests from individual students. All our work experience placements are offered directly to schools and colleges participating in our programme (please see list of offering schools and colleges tab). If you are attending one of the schools listed, please speak to your Careers Advisor to log your request.
Virtual work experience platform
We are aware that many young people struggle to gain relevant work experience in the health sector due to limited number of placements on offer and age restrictions. This platform has been developed to give young people a valuable insight into the work our heroes do to achieve the best patient outcomes.
Our free platform consists of resources which have been designed for young people aged 14 and over who want to learn more about their chosen profession, get university application tips or simply find out more about all the rewarding careers on offer in the health sector.
The platform offers:
- Interactive courses
- Recorded career webinars
- Live sessions
How to access:
To access the platform click on the following link: https://healthcarehorizons.thinkific.com/ and create an account.
Apply for our pre-employment training programme
Our two week pre-employment training programme will provide eligible 16 to 30 year olds the opportunity to access entry level jobs and apprenticeship vacancies at Barts Health NHS Trust and the wider health sector. It is the perfect opportunity to learn new skills that will help young people embark on a new and exciting career in the health sector. Successful candidates will also benefit from a talent pool, where some of the vacancies advertised are ring-fenced. Most of the jobs available will be within administration or Healthcare Support roles.
The training programme incorporates guidance on NHS careers, sector-specific skills and knowledge, motivational workshops, an accredited Level 2 qualification, and one to one support on how to apply for jobs and apprenticeships in the NHS.
More information about the programme and typical vacancies on offer can be found within the following pre-employment training programme booklet.
Eligibility criteria (all requirements must be met):
- Age 16 to 30
- Resident of one of the East London boroughs including Tower Hamlets, Newham, Waltham Forest, Hackney. Temporarily open to residents in Redbridge, Barking, Dagenham and Havering
- Good GCSEs in Maths and English (A* to C) or equivalent
- EU/UK resident for a minimum of three years
- Must not be in education at the point of application for the programme
Please note that as of April 2022 it will be a mandatory requirement for all NHS frontline staff to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19.
How to apply:
All candidates interested in applying for the pre-employability training programme must send an email stating the cohort number as well as attaching an updated CV to healthcare careers team (link here to our contact details). We also accept referrals from employment partners, so please get in touch if you would like to work with us.
Those eligible will be invited to an information and assessment day, and successful candidates will be selected following a short interview. Candidates must be available to attend all dates in their specified cohort.
Please specify which cohort number you can attend and don’t forget to attach your CV.
You must be free for the information day, at least one day in the interview week and the full two weeks of training from 9am to 5pm (Mon-Fri).