Knowledge and library services
We also deliver a clinical information and enquiry service to all staff, our patients and their carers.
You can see what resources we have available (and search our library catalogue) at EBSCO Discovery.
If you are a member of Barts Health staff, please go to the 'Digital Library' page on WeShare for direct access to many of our resources, and further information on what is available to you. You can also find out about our resources and services on our microsite: https://bartshealth-nhs.libguides.com/home.
We have now added a COVID-19 page to our microsite, where we have collected essential resources and key publications.
How to access our subscription resources
Before you can access our subscription resources you will need to have an OpenAthens account. (Available to Barts Health Trust staff and GPs, within the Waltham Forest, Tower Hamlets or Newham CCGs, only).
If you are a GP within the Waltham Forest, Tower Hamlets or Newham CCGs you can access some of our resources (including NHS Core Content). Please contact us for further information about accessing resources via OpenAthens.
Resources for patients
Barts Health have produced a range of useful patient information leaflets, but there are many other resources available to you.
- https://www.nhs.uk/ is a comprehensive resource that includes a handy A-Z of common conditions and treatments.
- NICE Evidence search is available if you feel able to do some in-depth searching. If you find your search results confusing there is an 'Information for the public' filter that will help you bring back results that are easier to understand.
- PubMed Health is a resource aimed at more 'expert' searchers. It provides information for consumers and clinicians on prevention and treatment of diseases and conditions. It specialises in reviews of clinical effectiveness research, with easy to read summaries for consumers as well as full technical reports.
- Healthtalk.org provides free, reliable information about health issues, by sharing people's real-life experiences. You can watch people sharing their stories about cancer, autism, motor-neurone disease, pregnancy, drugs, depression and much more.
- Lab Tests Online-UK is a patient-centred website written by practicing laboratory doctors and scientists to help members of the public understand the many clinical laboratory tests that are used in the diagnosis, monitoring and treatment of disease.
If you are worried about something you have seen in the news you can also find out more about the science behind the stories at NHS Choices - Behind the Headlines.
If you would like to contact the Barts Health Knowledge and Library Services you email our Enquiry Desk and we'll do our best to help.