Barts Health is the largest NHS trust in London and one of Britain’s leading healthcare providers:
Five hospitals, with over 16,000 staff
931 A&E patients every day
1.3 million outpatients a year
Over 72% of our staff are female
Over 20% are Black
Over 30% are Asian
Over 7 major religions are represented across our workforce
St Bartholomew's Hospital
St Bartholomew's is an internationally renowned teaching hospital in the City of London.
We offer a range of local and specialist services for the treatment of cancer, heart conditions, fertility problems and endocrinology. We do not offer A&E services.
- A national and regional centre of excellence in both cardiac and cancer care
- Barts Heart Centre is Europe’s largest, integrating staff and services from three sites in one
- Home to one of London’s biggest cancer centres
- A state-of-the-art hospital with 10 cath labs, 10 theatres, 5 linacs and 1 cyberknife
- Rated a UK top ten hospital in a 2021 survey
The Royal London Hospital
The Royal London is a leading, internationally renowned teaching hospital based in east London.
We offer a full range of local and specialist services, which includes one of the largest children's hospitals in the UK with one of London's busiest paediatric accident and emergency departments.
Home to London's Air Ambulance, The Royal London is also one of the capital's leading trauma and emergency care centres and hyper-acute stroke centres.
The Royal London Dental Hospital is a leading specialist hospital for first-class dental and oral health care.
- 5,000 babies are born each year in The Royal London and midwife-led Barkantine Birth Centre
- 181,380 A&E patients cared for in 2019-20
- The Royal London Hospital is rated 'good' overall by the CQC, with a number of areas rated outstanding including in critical care, dental and maternity.
Mile End Hospital
Barts Health provides a range of outpatient services on the Mile End community hospital site for people with chronic conditions, along with the early detection and treatment of cancer and other conditions.
In 2021, we opened the Mile End Early Diagnosis Centre (EDC) in partnerhip with other local NHS trusts, which aims to detect disease early and boost survival rates for north east London.
Mile End additionally hosts a number of other health services. East London NHS Foundation Trust (ELFT) provide a broad range of specialist inpatient and outpatient services including the Tower Hamlets Centre for Mental Health.
Moorfields Eye Hospital runs a community eye clinic, The Royal Free runs a breast screening service, University College London Hospital is undertaking the SUMMIT Study and Homerton University Hospital runs an retinal eye screening in partnership with Barts Health Diabetes Centre.
Mile End is additionally home to sports medicine research and training facilities for our academic neighbours at Queen Mary University of London.
The rest of the site hosts other partner services and organisations including Healthwatch Tower Hamlets, the Whizz-Kids wheelchair service, GP practice XX Place Health Centre and Tower Hamlets GP Care Group.
Whipps Cross University Hospital
Whipps Cross offers a full provision of general inpatient, outpatient and day case services, as well as maternity, A&E and urgent care.
- Opened in 1903
- 4,147 babies born at Whipps Cross from April 2020-March 2021
- 111,197 A&E patients cared for in 2020-21
- 267,095 attendances in outpatients in 2020-21
Newham University Hospital
Newham provides a range of services including emergency care, surgery and a dedicated stroke rehabilitation unit.
- £6.8 million Rainbow Centre redevelopment opened in 2017
- 141,000 A&E patients cared for in 2016-17
- 6,300 babies born each year at Newham Hospital's range of maternity services and the midwife-led Barking Birth Centre