Our dedicated volunteers
We simply could not do all that we do without our inspiring, passionate and caring team of volunteers.
Our dedicated volunteers offer practical and emotional support to our patients, providing a helping hand for our staff and a friendly face for our visitors. They are able to support the hospital in a number of ways from welcoming and directing visitors, giving out refreshments on the wards or chatting to patients.
What’s in it for you?
You’ll make new friends, meet and work with new people from all walks of life, learn new skills and gain new experience. Our volunteers tell us they feel more confident and happy by giving back and helping others.
NHS Covid-19 Vaccination Centre at ExCeL London
We're recruiting information and support volunteers to help with the coronavirus vaccination programme at the NHS Covid-19 Vaccination Centre, Newham, based at ExCeL London.
These will be fast-paced exciting roles and are likely to run for several months. Your support will be paramount to the smooth operation of the largest mass participation event that has ever taken place in the UK.
You will be required to:
- Meet, greet and welcome participants at registration
- Direct participants to screening or to required location
- Provide way-finding instructions to staff and participants at the venue
- Support participant recovery room
- Serve teas and coffees to staff
- Ensure that PPE supplies are stocked in the pods
- Collect and deliver items as required by staff
- Have an awareness of participants that might require additional support and reassure anxious participants
- Other tasks as introduced.
The above roles are not an exhaustive list of tasks, and are subject to change, depending on the circumstances and needs of the operation.
As a volunteer, however, your duties will be fully risk assessed and full guidance will be given. You will not be providing any clinical or medical support unless you are trained to do so.
- Good communication skills (additional languages welcomed)
- Friendly and approachable
- A flexible attitude with preparedness to get the task done
- Able to comply with requests from staff
- Reliable and punctual
- Live local to the Excel centre
There will be members of staff available daily for your further support and you will be volunteering with a community of other people who will work collaboratively to ensure that this huge task is completed to a high standard.
We are committed to ensuring that volunteers enjoy a quality experience and every effort has been made to ensure that you are volunteering in a safe and hospitable environment.
Covid-19 active responders
We are seeking volunteers to support the hospitals as Covid-19 active responders.
This is the perfect role for those who have a few hours to spare and would like to make a difference by supporting your local hospital during this time.
As a volunteer you will be required to support us with the following:
- Supporting screening of visitors, checking temperatures and ensuring they maintain strict infection control
- Supporting at front desk with taking up belongings from family / friends to patients on wards
- Manning staff wellbeing room, providing hot drinks and refreshments
- Escorting visitors to wards (ICU/end of life care patients, etc.)
- Supporting visitors with queries, liaising with wards and directing to appropriate department.