Working at St Bartholomew’s Hospital
At St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, we’re home to world-leading cardiac and cancer centres, which provide cutting-edge treatment to our patients in the very heart of the City of London.
Steeped in 900 years of history, we’re the oldest hospital site in the country. State-of-the-art facilities help our talented staff to deliver exceptional care every day of the year.
There are a wide range of career opportunities available at St Bartholomew's, including working in critical care.
Nursing Open Day
This is the perfect opportunity to come and see what we do at St Bartholomew’s Hospital, meet the team, have a tour of our hospital, ask questions and see if a career with us is the one for you!
There is no pressure to commit to a role, however, we are offering interviews on the day.
We’re excited to welcome you on Saturday 15 January 2022, from 10am - 5pm to our Nursing Open Day at St Bartholomew’s Hospital, West Smithfield, London, EC1A 7BE.
Please do a lateral flow test before arriving and only visit if it's negative.
Our Bank Partners will also be with us if you are interested in joining our bank team.
For all of our roles, we are committed to promoting flexible working and would welcome a discussion about how we may accommodate any flexible working arrangements.
We have exciting nursing vacancies across our site in theatres, critical care, cardiology, surgery and cancer.
What to expect on the day:
- A welcome from the senior team
- Presentations from experienced members of the team
- Tour of the area you’re interested in
- Discussions around what support and development we can offer
- Interview and assessment (for nursing posts if you wish to apply)
- Complimentary tea and coffee
If you're unable to attend but would be interested in working with us, please contact us on the details above.
Who we are
St Bartholomew’s Hospital, the oldest hospital in England with some of the newest facilities, is home to world-leading cardiac and cancer centres, providing state-of-the-art treatment to our patients in the very heart of the City of London.
We provide a full range of local and specialist services for the treatment of cancer, heart conditions, fertility problems, endocrinology and minor injuries.
We treat the whole range of cancers, including rare tumours, and are a leading provider of stem cell transplantation and immunotherapy.
We’re also one of the five busiest heart attack centres in the UK, and home to the largest atrial fibrillation ablation centre in Europe.
We’re a dedicated, supportive and ambitious team offering excellent training and development opportunities, including a growing nursing and AHP research and clinical academic career programme with internships. MSc, PhDs and post-doctoral opportunities.
St Bartholomew's is part of Barts Health NHS Trust. With five hospitals across east London, there are plenty of opportunities to develop your career.
Why work for us
We were voted a top 10 UK hospital in 2021 and have a range of BMJ and HSJ award-winning teams and clinicians who are leaders in their fields.
In a recent NHS staff survey our staff rated us as above the London average for staff engagement and morale.
Situated in beautiful surroundings close to St. Paul’s Cathedral in London, St Bartholomew’s Hospital has excellent public transport links and is close to a number of bars, restaurants, shops and other cultural attractions, making it a truly great place to work.
You can be part of the difference we make.
We want all of our 2,000 staff to be experts in their field. That’s why our education team commissions a number of specialist courses and training programmes each year, including study days, clinical supernumery time and the opportunity to observe care in other settings.
Team building is important too. We organise regular team days to give our staff the opportunity to review procedures and develop improvements.
- Interest-free travel loan.
- Generous pension scheme.
- Flexible working including part time, term-time, annualised hours, job share and career breaks.
- Occupational health: we run regular staff MOT checks, and you can also take advantage of our stress management and psychological services.
- Discounted – sometimes free – tickets for theatre, concerts and mini-breaks.
- Barts Health Heroes Awards for all staff. These awards recognise our outstanding staff who live our values and go above and beyond for patients and colleagues.
- Salary sacrifice allows you to buy electrical items through your salary and pay them off over a set period of time. This saves you 25% of the cost of buying them outright.
- Staff library: we have four libraries across all our sites and we also deliver a clinical information and enquiry service to all staff, patients and their carers.
Find out more on the Barts Health staff benefits page.
Cath labs: Thea's story
Cardiac nurse Thea Galeon explains what it is like working in the cath labs at one of Europe’s busiest heart centres.
Theatres: Patricia's story
Advanced theatre practitioner Patricia Pereira explains the career opportunities available in theatres at the internationally-renowned specialist centre and the country's oldest hospital.
Surgical ward: Sandra's story
Surgical ward junior sister Sandra Castineira tells us why she enjoys working at St Bartholomew’s Hospital.