St Bartholomew's Hospital
You can travel to the hospital in a number of ways including on foot, by car, by bike or by public transport. We also provide a patient transport service.
The following buses stop outside or close to the hospital: 4, 8, 17, 25 (24 hour service), 45 46, 56, 63, 76, 100, 153, 172, 242 (24 hour service) and 521 (Mondays to Fridays only) as well as night buses N8, N63 and N76.
Low-floor wheelchair accessible buses run on all routes serving St Bartholomew's Hospital.
We encourage visitors, staff and patients living nearby to cycle to the hospital where possible. Cycle parking facilities are available around the hospital:
- Santander Cycle hire docks are located on West Smithfield near the King Henry VIII Gate entrance and on King Edward Street near main reception entrance
- City of London provides dockless hire bays and can be viewed via their interactive map
- Coming soon - Brompton Hire dock on-site
- Onsite cycle rack facilities are available outside the transport lounge and outside the Nuffield Health at St Bartholomew's Hospital building, the latter can accommodate most cargo bikes
- Offsite City of London cycle racks are located near hospital entrances
- Secure cycle store area available for Barts Health employees (please visit main reception to update access card)
The closest underground stations are St Paul's (5 minute walk), Barbican (7 minutes), Farringdon (8 minutes), Blackfriars (10 minutes), Moorgate (17 minutes).
The nearest National Rail stations are Blackfriars (10 minute walk), Cannon Street (15 minutes), City Thameslink (7 minutes), Moorgate (17 minutes) and Farringdon (8 minutes). Liverpool Street station is a 17 minute walk or a short tube, bus, bike or taxi ride away.
By car or taxi
There is no public parking at the hospital. If you do need to drive, the Rotunda multi-storey public car park is close to the hospital in West Smithfield. NCP Aldersgate multi-storey is also nearby.
St Bartholomew's Hospital operates a one-way system with drop-off and pick up at three designated laybys, with a maximum stay of 10 minutes. You can access the drop off point from Giltspur Street and exit onto King Edward Street.
Infopoints at the hospital allow you to make free calls to taxi companies to arrange your journey home. There is an infopoint located at the main entrance on King Edward Street. There are additional infopoints at the exit of Clinic 2, at the patient transport lounge by Clinic 3 and by the discharge lounge outside ward 4A.
Blue Badge holders
There are a small number of parking bays for Blue Badge holders. These are accessed via Giltspur Street. Drivers who are registered disabled and have a Blue Badge can also check where to park at on the City of London Corporation website.
St Bartholomew's Hospital is situated within the congestion charge zone and the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ).
Refunds of hospital transport costs
You may be able to claim a refund for the cost of your transport to hospital through the Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme (HTCS) if you:
- are not eligible for patient transport services (PTS)
- cannot afford the cost of travelling to hospital
- cannot get a friend or relative to take you
Please contact our call centre on 020 7767 3344 to request patient transport. Lines are open Monday to Saturday, between 7am and 8pm for bookings, and 24/7 for general queries.