Volunteers Week takes place 1-7 June every year. It's a chance to recognise the fantastic contribution volunteers make to our communities and say thank you.
Volunteers’ Week 2021 is a time to say thanks. It goes without saying that volunteers have played a key role in the pandemic response. During an exceptionally difficult year, people from all walks of life around the UK have taken the time to volunteer and make a huge difference to their communities – just as they do every year. This is a time for us to come together and thank all volunteers for their invaluable contribution.
At Barts Health, we are extremely lucky to have such amazing people who willingly dedicate their time and effort and volunteer their services to help us.
When Covid-19 started spreading throughout the United Kingdom in March 2020, we were overwhelmed by the response from people living in the local area who got in contact and offered to support us in any way they could.
We have had hundreds of people apply to volunteer. Applications have not only consisted of local residents, but medical students living locally too.
Barts Health volunteers have been extremely active across all of our hospitals during the pandemic, supporting us by:
- Helping to deliver over 100,000 vaccinations at the NHS Covid-19 vaccination centre, Newham.
- Helping our pharmacy team with collecting medication and acting as runners to patients who need them.
- Supporting bereavement by getting personal belongings to next of kin.
- Helping with filling up the stockroom for the Intensive Care Unit.
- Supporting Clinical Physics to move equipment to the Intensive Care Unit.
- Distributing donations to staff.
- Assisting staff with shopping and essential needs.
- Meeting and greeting at the front entrance and supporting the reception with security checks and ensuring visitors are washing their hands.
- Making sure the staff wellbeing rooms are fully stocked with food and drink.
We are incredibly grateful for our volunteers and the work they do. Thank you!
Find out how you can apply to become a volunteer at Barts Health.